Understanding How Bail Works

Bail has been around for almost 400 years. In fact, bail was formally acknowledged in 1677 when the English courts passed a law known as the Habeas Corpus Act. The law defined which offenses against the state were allowed bail and which were not. The rights of the common folk have come a long way since that original ruling, and today the majority of defendants can obtain a bond from a local company. Here are a few facts that you should know about how bail works.

Begins With an Arrest

Once an individual is arrested and taken to jail, the accused is processed by taking a photograph, fingerprints, and personal information. Sometimes clothing is changed, and personal items are logged into the jail by a clerk. A meeting with the judge to declare the charges by the court is next.

Continues With the Bond

Once the accused has all the charge information, a call to the Lancaster County bail bonds company will begin the bonding process. Family or friends can give the court-ordered amount bond company in the form of property or cash. The company will make the required payment, and the accused will be released.

Ends With an Appearance

If the defendant appears at all Court ordered meetings, 90 percent of the bail will be returned to the payee. The other 10 percent of the bond costs will be held by the bail bond company as payment for services rendered. If the defendant fails to appear in court, the total bond amount is forfeit.

Bail has been around for hundreds of years, but it can still be a confusing process for those that are unfamiliar with it. If you or someone you love is ever accused of a crime and needs to get out of jail, you can contact a bail company to help you with the process. It is easier than you think.